Sailing Experience

On Tuesday morning our teacher Mr Bell said that we were going sailing on Thursday for Room 7 and 6 but only the year 6 and 5s were going, it was called Yachting New Zealand, Mr Bell said we would have to be at school by 8:25 and if we were late we had to leave them because we couldn’t wait for them. 

The day before sailing Mr Bell told us what to bring and we were so excited but some of us were anxious but  Mr Bell taught us how to breathe, at home I was excited and anxious but I had prepared my swimming clothes and everything I needed, when it was time to sleep I couldn’t sleep at all but after an hour I finally fell asleep. When I woke up in the morning I made breakfast and got all ready, I waited for my family to get ready, when they  got  ready we hopped into the car and drove off. We were driving to my Caregiver, I already told her that she would have to drop us early for school for sailing, she had to leave early to drop the other kids to school.

We managed to be early for school, instead of me being anxious I was so excited that I couldn’t wait, I ran to go to class. When we went to class we changed to our swimming togs (We were wearing our swimming togs under our uniform so we could easily change into it), when we changed Mr Bell told us we had to go to under the canopy because we almost had to go, when we went under the canopy we had to have 2 lines for girls and boys and we said prayer then we headed off. It  took us 20 minutes to walk there. 

When we arrived at the sailing I saw the water, it was low tide and murky. The sailing instructor introduced herself; there were 2 girls and 1 man. The girls’ names were Steph and Ellie and the man’s name was Blair. Steph told us everything about the boat and what they were used for and even told us some facts , she even let us go inside the boat and we got to try it out.  Steph said the year 6s were going first so Steph walked us to the van and gave us our life jackets to put on , when we put on our life jackets we had to wait for all the year 6s to put on their life jackets. When we were all done Steph asked to pick a partner so everyone went around to find a partner, my partner was Marii, we had to pick a boat and then pull it to the shore and then ask Blair if he could help us put our boat in the water, Steph said that the instructors will be going on a boat with engines to help us.

As soon as we went in the water it was freezing a bit but not that much, we hopped into the boat, Marii was sailing and I was steering the boat. We were so excited. When everyone was on their boat Steph said we were going to play some games, the first game was called follow the leader all we had to do was follow the leader, as soon as we started moving it was kinda hard but in a few minutes it was easy and we were first but then everyone started catching up, it was a line following everyone we were doing circles and turns, the turns were sharp, my partner and I kept laughing. It was so tiring to steer the boat, our hands were getting really tired, while we were steering the boat Steph suddenly threw a rubber duckie and we were all trying to get it but we were far away from the rubber duckies. While Steph was throwing the rubber duckies we finally managed to get one and it had names on the side. Steph kept throwing more rubber duckies but Steph said if we have more than 2 to throw the other rubber duckies for someone else to go and get it. 

Steph brang everyone that were somewhere else to the middle, Steph said we were going to play Simon Says and we were excited. One of the questions was how to stand and put your hands on their shoulders. Marii and I weren’t standing straight because we were so scared even though we were wearing life jackets. Steph then said we had to capsize the boat, the other people  said they were going to go first and we watched them they did it really good, my partner and I were kind of scared, after building the courage we stood up someone stood up at the front of the boat and the other person sit’s down and also help making it fall, my partner had to rock the boat so it would tip over, we were rocking the boat and we did one big rock and we fell in, the water was feeling warm. We had to  go on the other side and flip the boat over, when we had done that we had to get on the boat and it was so hard to get on and took us about a few minutes to get in, we managed to get in and there was so much water on the boat so we had a bucket and scooped it up and poured it back out. While we were sailing 2 of my friends Jaeden and Georzen one of their hat had fallen in the water and they were swimming trying to find it, while we were trying to help them our boat flipped over, and  we had to do it again! While we were trying to help their boat was drifting away so we had to go back on the boat and it was even harder to do. 

We had to drive back to Steph so while we were driving the boat flipped again! We were getting so mad, so we had to get back on again. Steph helped us get to shore while we were trying to get water out of the boat and we were so relaxed because we were back on the boat. When we arrived on shore I layed down on the shore because I was so tired. We had to go up and eat our food while the year 5 was getting on the boat, when we finished eating we got split into groups to do some work. When the year 5 was done we went and changed back into our school uniform, we had to walk back up and we were even tired and we couldn’t catch up. We got to school early and it was already lunch time. I enjoyed going sailing and it was the best experience ever, I wished we could go back again.